You’ve all seen those dryer balls. The ones that you use in the dryer to make their clothes dry faster and soften your clothes. I use them with my cloth diaper inserts. It definitely cuts down on drying time and there is less static too. Well, guess what?! You can use your essential oils as a great way to make your laundry smell good without the chemicals and synthetics in fabric softener.
Just a few drops of your favorite scent on each ball, every few loads and you have GREAT smelling laundry! Lavender, Purification, Citrus Fresh, Lemon- any scent you’d like! Taking my laundry to a whole new level of clean!!
To make the dryer balls yourself, follow these simple instructions!
- Start your first wool dryer ball by wrapping the yarn around a couple of fingers 10 times.
- Remove the yarn from your fingers and wrap about 10 times around the middle.
- Continue wrapping around the ball from every angle. Make your way around the ball, wrapping 5-10 times before moving to a new angle. (There’s no exact science to this. Just keep trying to form a round ball.) Wrap the yarn tightly and hang onto your ball so it doesn’t pop out of your hands.
- When your ball is a little bigger than a tennis ball, cut the yarn and pull the end through the ball with your crochet hook.
- Repeat Steps 1-4 to make a second wool dryer ball with the remainder of your yarn.
- Place your wool balls in your pantyhose, knotting the pantyhose between the balls.
- Run your wool dryer balls through your washer and dryer with separate loads of laundry until they “felt” and become solid balls. (Mine “felt” in 3-4 loads.)
- Remove balls from pantyhose and use in the dryer in place of dryer sheets.