One of my family’s holiday traditions is getting together with all the grandkids to do all things Christmas. And by all things Christmas that means making cookies, listening to Christmas music, drinking hot chocolate, trimming the tree and wearing silly Christmas hats! This is my first Christmas since I started using Young Living essential oils, so I thought I would incorporate them into our family’s tradition!
First of all, let’s talk hot chocolate. I think anyone I know agrees- hot chocolate is the way to go during the winter! I have three children that agree with me! When I found this recipe, I was so excited to tweak it to work for our family and then add my essential oils! Don’t forget, you MUST top off your cup with no less than 30 mini marshmallows 😉
Peppermint Hot Chocolate:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
- 1 bag milk chocolate chips
- 8 cups of milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 drops Peppermint essential oil
This is so easy. All you have to do is dump all your ingredients into a crock pot, turn it on high and stir frequently until the chocolate chips are completely melted. This is SO good. If there will be more than 6 people or so, you are going to want to make a double batch. This would work on the stove too, but you will want to keep the temperature low so you don’t burn the milk. Let me know how your family loves this! I know mine does!
The second way I’m using my essential oils this Christmas is I am making diffuser ornaments. They are so cool! I got the idea off a friend and just tweaked it a bit. I purchased raw wood ornaments off of Amazon. You could do ANYTHING for the ornaments. Go to Michael’s or Hobby Lobby also to shop close to home. The ideas are endless. Even cork or thin slices of a wooden log would work as well! I am not super crafty and even I can pull this one off. All I did was have my kids paint one side of the ornament, let it dry and then drop one or two drops of my choice of essential oil on the back of the ornament. This is a great way to fill your home, your office, your car with a wonderful scent and avoid the toxins of usual candles and plug in air fresheners. I’m going to include some of my favorite oil combinations. But really, any of your favorite oils will do.
My Christmas Oil Scents
– – – Stress Free Christmas – 1 drop Stress Away, 1 drop Christmas Spirit
– – – Minty Christmas – 2 drops Christmas Spirit, 1 drops Peppermint
– – – Christmas Time – 1 drop Idaho Balsam Fir, 1 Tangerine
– – – Christmas Eve – 5 drops Idaho Balsam Fir, 2 drops Grapefruit, 3 drops Frankincense
– – – Christmas Treasure – 4 drops Treasure of the Season, 2 drops of Peppermint
– – – By the Fire – 3 drops Orange, 2 drops Nutmeg, 1 drop Cinnamon Bark, 1 drop Clove
– – -Christmas Tree – 4 drops Pine, 2 drops Cedarwood, 1 drop Idaho Blue Spruce
– – – Ginger Bread House – 1 drop Ginger, 1 drop Clove, 1 drop Cinnamon Bark, 1 tsp vanilla
I have tried all of these. I will tell you that if you’re looking for a more manly scent for the man in your life, anything with the Idaho Blue Spruce, Idaho Balsam Fir, or Evergreen Essence is a great way to go! Hope you all have a blessed Christmas! I would love to hear your favorite Christmas tradition! Maybe even include your favorite holiday oily tradition!
Megan Harrouff from St. Louis, Missouri